Jack Del Rio, the defensive coordinator for the Washington Commanders, has apologised for calling the Capitol insurgency a ‘dustup.’

Del Rio apologize

On Wednesday, Washington Commanders defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio apologized for characterizing the disturbances at the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021, a “dustup.”

“Earlier today, I made remarks in reference to the attack on the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021. “I was reckless and careless in referring to that scenario as a dust-up, and I apologies,” Del Rio said in a statement shared on Twitter. “I stand firm in my condemnation of violence in communities across the country.” That is something I say while also showing my support for peaceful protest in our country as an American citizen. All nonviolent protests in America have my full support.

“I love, respect, and support all of my coworkers, athletes, and staff, and I value their perspectives and ideas.”

Del Rio responded to a post about planned hearings on the events of Jan. 6 with a tweet on Monday: “Would love to know ‘the real story’ about why the summer of riots, looting, burning, and personal property destruction is never covered, but this is??? #CommonSense.”

Before apologizing, Del Rio told reporters on Wednesday that he was only asking a question about what would happen in the spring and summer of 2020 after George Floyd’s death.

“Why aren’t we looking into those things if we’re going to talk about it?” “Why aren’t we looking into those things if we’re going to talk about it?” Del Rio remarked. “I have no difficulty watching images on TV of people’s livelihoods being destroyed and companies being burned down. Then there’s a ruckus in the Capitol, where nothing has burned down, and we’re going to make a big deal out of it. I simply believe there are two standards, and if we apply the same standard and are willing to be reasonable with one another, we can have a dialogue. That was all there was to it. Let’s have a conversation about it.”

The House committee looking into the insurgency of 2021 will hold its first public session on Thursday. The six sessions, which are slated to go until late June, will be the first time the committee releases “previously unseen information” from its 10-month probe into practically every facet of the insurgency.

Del Rio’s tweets have caused controversy in the past, but there are no indications that it has been a problem with his players this time. Jonathan Allen, a defensive tackle with the Commanders, told NBC Sports Washington that the tweets were not a topic of conversation in the locker room.

Allen stated, “Everyone has the right to their own opinion.” “Some men choose to share it on Twitter, while others do not. You can disagree with each other and still respect each other. That, I believe, is what our country and this squad are all about. I don’t mind what he thinks as long as he comes to work every day and works hard. That’s exactly what I’m looking for in a defensive coordinator.”

Kendall Fuller, a cornerback, stated on Wednesday that he was unaware of Del Rio’s tweets. Fuller said when a reporter read the tweet to him: “I’m not sure what to say right now. I’ll tell him if I have a strong emotion or feeling about something.” In response to one of Del Rio’s tweets, former Washington cornerback DeAngelo Hall, who has been the team’s radio analyst for the past two years, tweeted a clown emoji.

“I’m 100 percent for America, if you’re not you can kiss my A$$,” Del Rio said two years ago in reaction to abuse he was receiving from other Twitter users — and when some tagged him as a Trump supporter.

Ron Rivera, the Commanders’ head coach, declined to say whether he had spoken with Del Rio about his remarks.

“I’m not going to talk about stuff I talk to my coaches about,” Rivera added, “particularly stuff that’s off the field and has nothing to do with football.” “However, everyone has the right to their own views. “We’ll have that conversation if it ever becomes an issue or a situation.” Right now, it’s something I’ll deal with when the opportunity arises.” Del Rio was questioned by reporters earlier Wednesday if he was afraid that his comments would have a detrimental influence on Black players.

“I’d be comfortable speaking or writing anything in front of everyone I deal with — players and coaches,” Del Rio added. “As an American, I have the ability to express myself. I adore this nation, and I believe in what I believe, and I’ve said everything I have to say about it. There are some folks who are offended by it now and then.”

During his availability, Del Rio told reporters he was unconcerned about his tweets affecting his connection with his players, the majority of whom are Black, and that he doesn’t believe “race had anything to do with that incident” on Jan. 6.

Del Rio stated, “I’m going to be the man I am.” “As a coach, I operate here with nothing but love and respect for everyone I deal with… If they’re [upset] and want to talk about it, I’d talk about it with anyone, at any time, without hesitation. “However, they aren’t. I’m just expressing myself, and I believe we all have the freedom to do so as Americans, especially if we do so respectfully. “I’m being polite.”

Del Rio’s remark drew a rebuke from Virginia State Senator Scott Surovell, who represents the district where the club recently purchased land for a stadium. The Virginia General Assembly postponed a decision on a new stadium until late last month. Although it is doubtful, a vote could take place later this summer. “The anticipated apathy & tolerance in the @NFL to Jack Del Rio’s indifference to insurgency highlights the league’s hypocrisy in blackballing @Kaepernick7 and also makes plain to me that we won’t see any more votes on stadium bills this year,” Surovell tweeted Wednesday afternoon.

Del Rio backed Marshawn Lynch after Trump chastised the star running back for sitting during the US national anthem but standing during the Mexican anthem before a game in Mexico City while he was the Raiders’ head coach in 2017. “Everyone should pay respect to the flag,” Del Rio remarked at the time, “but it is America, and everyone may make their own choice.” Linda, his wife, later tweeted that she was sorry she voted for Trump in 2016. The Commanders’ offseason has been tumultuous, at least in terms of non-football things. The organization and its owner, Dan Snyder, are still being investigated by Congress for the working atmosphere; a hearing is scheduled for June 22.

Congress also wrote a letter to the Federal Trade Commission, alleging that the agency had engaged in financial misconduct. In a 105-page reply to the FTC, the team refuted such assertions.

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.